Exploring Game Design with Kodu
Kodu is a new visual programming language made specifically for creating games. It is designed to be accessible for children and enjoyable for anyone. As the first level of game development, this course will introduce to a different style of programming – icon-based code blocks.
- No prior knowledge in programming is required
What do your kids learn?
- Game design involves a process of ideation, planning, problem decomposition, functional modeling, synthesizing and testing.
- Develop high-order logical thinking skills by learning conditionals and state machines.
- Enhance creativity by going through storyboarding techniques and the game design process
- Nurture communication skills and confidence in your kids when they present their newly created game to their peers.
- Instead of being a passive consumer of games, let’s empower your kids to be creators of own games.
How do we at KidsCode impart our knowledge to your child?
- We will help them discover basic Kodu elements
- We will explore an existing Kodu game and break it down how the game works
- We will guide them to edit the Kodu game by replacing with their own objects and background
- We let them know that we will create a “Collect Apples” game
- Then we will sit down with them and think about a theme such as a plot and game setting before they start creating the game
- We will guide them through creating a simple “Collect Apples” game
- We will encourage the kids to explore and personalize the game
- Bring home their very own self-designed game at the end of the course – A “Find Apples” game
- Access to resources to learn more about 3D modeling design and programming
- Take a step further by working on our Minecraft Essentials course!